Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Welcome to Stethoscope Song

In 1848 Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote, "Stethoscope Song: a professional ballad", warning of the dangers of allowing clinical decisions to be influenced by little more than assumptions and conjecture. I'm a board-certified internist who authors a column in our health system's newsletter investigating the so-called Alternative/Complementary Medicine products. The feedback has been positive enough that I've become crazed with grandiose ideas of my own self-importance to the extent that I feel compelled to share my thoughts with the world. These profound reflections will encompass the areas of medicine, science, politics, and religion.

Of course, the priceless nuggets of golden wisdom found here are not meant to be a substitute for reasoned discussion with your primary care physician, pastor, or drinking buddy. The views expressed here are strictly my own and do no reflect the views of my employer (or perhaps even the majority of the planet).

No comments: